There is no way to get rich quick, but there are small actions today that can make you get rich faster.
All the below tasks to improve your finances take no longer than one hour. The majority can be done in the next ten minutes.
The goal is to get the ball rolling. You can fry the bigger fish another day.
- Sign up for Mint and start tracking your income and expenses
- List something on eBay or Craigslist
- Take your change to the local bank and have it deposited
- Open a Roth IRA
- Make your Roth IRA contributions automatic
- Review benefit package to make sure you’re taking advantage of everything that is offered
- Open a sub savings account and start saving for the Holiday’s now
- Review beneficiary information on life insurance and investments
- Go to the library and pick up classic personal finance books such as Your Money or Your Life, The Bogleheads Guide to Investing, and The Richest Man in Babylon
- Review your credit card’s term and conditions
- Review your credit cards rewards program
- Schedule a garage sale for May
- Rebalance your 401K if you haven’t done so in the past 12-18 months
- Go to freecycle.org and see if there are any big items that you plan to buy in the future
- Make your next meal from ingredients you already have in the house. Use a ingredient search engine like Supercook if you need help.
- Up percentage of 401K contributions
- Research residual income opportunities that interest you
- Set financial and career goals that excite you
- Call you credit card company and ask for a rate reduction
- Calculate your net worth and net wealth
- Start thinking about how you can make money doing what you love
- Make a list of things you will never buy again (mine include napkins, paper towels, plastic wrap, and just about anything made with plastic)
- Make your own cleaning solution. Vinegar and water clean just about everything.
- Call cable company and telling them you’re looking at other options and want to see if they can match any introductory offers from other companies
- Go to annualcreditreport.com and check to see if there are any errors on your credit report
As an extra bonus, writing this post made me think of the song “This Magic Moment” by Ben E. King, which of course makes me think about this clip from Sandlot (a movie that will never come off my top 5)